I own a piece of land in Mumbai jointly with my three brothers. My father insists that none of us can individually sell our share of the property. Therefore, we have jointly approached a builder to build a residential property on that land. We would like 4 2BHK flats, but the builder has given us an option to take a lump sum of 3 crores. If we accept his offer, what would be the taxes due? Is there any other method we can follow to maximize our profit in this situation?


Answered on November 09, 2017
  • share
  • Capital gains will be applicable on the transaction and the same could be Short Term Gains or Long Term Gains depending on how long you have held the property. You could utilise the sale proceeds received from the Builder to acquire another residential property within a period of 1 year from the date of the sale to minimise and/or avoid capital gains payment.
      facebook twitter linkdin